” Unleash your creativity and bring your characters to life with me! ”
— Claire Ridley
Introduction to Character Design
This is our third holiday workshop in 2023!
During this 2-day holiday workshop, Claire will demonstrate the process she follows to
create character designs, and help students approach creating their own characters
while incorporating various techniques to create more interesting designs.
The first day will focus on drawing from life; learning the basics of human anatomy; body
structure and body types, as well as how to use dynamic posing to give life to your
Claire will cover the following:
- Basic Human Anatomy
- Line of Action
- Intro to dynamic posing & expressions
The second day will concentrate on mood boarding for character design and getting into
creating your own characters. Claire will demonstrate how she breaks down her
inspiration and research into unique concepts and moves them to designing a character.
Claire will cover the following:
- Approaching Research
- Building References into mood board
- Techniques for Ideation
- Storytelling through stylistic choices
- Digital Painting
- Other tips and tricks I've learnt along the way such as my approach to using social media & selling your art!
This workshop is perfect for those who are beginners that want to learn the basics of
techniques you’ll need when creating characters both for fun and professional work.
- Workshop Requirements
- A laptop and drawing tablet (eg. Wacom and Huion have good drawing tablets) so that you can follow along, as we do not supply any equipment for our workshops.
- If you don't have any of the above items, a sketchbook and pencils, markers will be okay, but be mindful that Pete will use digital rendering techniques using Photoshop.
- iPads may be used, although they don't run Photoshop very well. You can draw and paint with them using Procreate or take notes if you wish.
- Adobe Photoshop - You can take up a 7-day trial if you haven't used it before and would like to try it out. It will ask you for payment details when you sign up, however if you don't wish to continue using it after the workshop you can just cancel it. Alteratively you may wish to use another painting or drawing program such as Manga studio, Krita, Corel Painter, Heavypaint, or Gimp. All demonstrations will be done using Photoshop.
This workshop is available both in-person and online.
To sign up for the workshop, click the “Register Now!” button above and you will be required to complete a registration form. Full payment is due on registration. Once you have completed the sign up, you will be sent a confirmation email by CDW Studios acknowledging receipt of your registration.
Link to live stream will be sent out on registration via the confirmation email.
If you do not receive anything, please email email@example.com.
Dates Location & Cost
When you sign up you can book either a face to face ticket or an online ticket. Everyone (both in-person and online) will receive the link to the stream when they register, via the confirmation email.
Oct 9 – 10th, 2023.
10:00am – 4:00pm (ADL Time) There will be a break for lunch – the time will be announced during the workshop.
CDW Studios, The Myer Centre Adelaide, Level 4 of 14-38 Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5000. Access is via the glass lifts closest to the King William Street side of the building
COST: $120 per student (inclusive of both days)
Simon is the founder and Director of CDW Studios. He has been working in the industry for over 15 years as an illustrator, environment designer, matte painter and concept artist. Clients include THQ, EA Games, LEGO, Mighty Kingdom, Animal Logic, Warner Bros and TT Games. His focus is now about creating a world-class education facility in Adelaide, Australia.
Claire has worked professionally across multiple creative fields including Illustration, Graphic Design and UX/UI design. Claire is known for her unique style that seamlessly combines iconic character design with the authenticity of everyday moments.