Digital Painting 1
Prerequisite: Intro to Digital Painting.
This workshop follows on from Intro to Digital Painting. You will continue learning and improving on your digital painting skills in Photoshop. Digital Painting 1 is a prerequisite for our more advanced courses. This workshop will push the fundamentals of painting digitally. You will learn more advanced principles about composition, value, colour theory, observation, texture and lighting.
Each week you will watch a demo of the instructor painting live, you are welcome to paint along with the instructor and ask questions. After each class you will receive your homework assignment for the week, and at the beginning of each class you will receive feedback on your work.
Topics that will be covered throughout the 12 week workshop:
- How to generate ideas and gather reference.
- What is shape design and why it's important.
- Composition/layout and how to create compelling paintings.
- Value control.
- Advanced colour theory.
- Intermediate perspective.
- Strong focus on painting digital environments, using professional techniques from Games & Film.
The hardware requirements for the workshop are:
- Laptop (MacBook Pro or i7 PC laptop with 16GB RAM are recommended).
- Wacom tablet. Any size is good.
- Notepad and pens/pencils for note-taking.
Ned is an Adelaide based concept designer and illustrator who has worked in the entertainment industry for more than 7 years. He specialises in pre-production pitch design, world building and environment design. His clients include Bosskey, Technicolour, Wizards of the Coast, 20th Century Fox and Legendary and Ridley Scott Associates. Throughout his classes Ned focuses on the fundamentals of idea development for film, games and animation and efficient visual storytelling as well as the core concepts of draftsmanship and design.